Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow Day = cookies!

Well, here in Newfoundland today we are getting 40+ cm of snow, which means we are all stuck in our houses, going crazy! So instead of doing school work, I made cookies, played mario in my Wii, and watched movies with Gregory. It was a good day, but I really should have worked on my courses.... oops. But I guess I can do that for a portion of the day on Superbowl Sunday.
Well back to my baking lol I made browned butter chocolate chip cookies today, and they were much better than I imagined. They stayed soft after they cooled so yay! :) But of course they were better just out of the oven with a cold glass of milk :)

Pictures to come after I get them uploaded to my computer, I am waiting to take lots of snow pictures before I put them on here.

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2-3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour (or half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1-2 cups chocolate chips

In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Keep cooking, swirling the pot occasionally, until it starts to turn brown and smell nutty. Remove it from the heat, pour it into a bowl (scrape out all the nice browned bits at the bottom) and stir in the sugars. This should cool it down somewhat, but wait a few minutes anyway before stirring in the eggs and vanilla. Then add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir with a spatula until almost blended; add the chocolate chips and stir until the dough comes together. Refrigerate for at least an hour or two, or overnight.

When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F. Scoop out walnut-sized balls of dough and space them an inch or two apart on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray or lined with parchment or a silpat mat. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden around the edges but still soft in the middle. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?